What do you get when you fuse an environmentally friendly, high-tech, and luxury hotel? Why the QO Amsterdam, of course! Located in Amsterdam, The Netherlands alongside the Amstel river and just 15 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the city center you’ll encounter a 21-story high-rise living building shaped by nature. True to its motto “Treating Life Well” – QO wants to re-think the way hotels are and change them to become more sustainable stand-alone units whilst integrating them to become part of the neighborhood.
All of the materials used to bring this incredible eco-friendly hotel to life have been meticulously chosen for their circularity credentials, provenance, and relevance to QO’s story and vision. I can’t express how strongly I stand by their approach in minimizing the impact on the planet and at the same time contributing to an inspiring environment and spreading positive energy. I would love to see more hotels adopt this approach. Our planet is hurting, so let’s do our best to care for it by practicing resourcefulness.
My first impressions of the hotel prior to arriving in Amsterdam was a very positive one. I was really excited to experience the QO and its sustainable concept for my own eyes. The high room that I booked had incredible views and was very clean and spacious. Each room is designed with floor-to-ceiling windows, a comfortable bed with the softest pillows, a flat-screen TV with AirPlay, and an iPad to control lighting and heating. The bathrooms are partially open and fitted in dark bricks and have a shower with a clear glass door and Zenology toiletries to top it off. The miniature greenhouse with fresh flora is such a beautiful touch to the room in bringing the outside in.
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Air conditioning (climate-controlled)
- Room service
- Daily housekeeping
- Soundproof / Hypoallergenic / Non-smoking rooms
- 49-inch LED TV
- Digital channels
- Premium channels
- Premium bedding
- Pillow menu
- Cushioned window bench
- Small desk
- Bathroom (partially open)
- Designer toiletries
- Toilet paper
- Free bottled water
- Electrical kettle
- Coffee/tea maker
- Connecting rooms available
- Iron/ironing board (on request)
Persijn | Dutch Eatery
This Dutch eatery at the entrance floor provides innovative, healthy, and sustainable dishes, using nothing but locally sourced ingredients, including fresh produce and fish from their very own greenhouse/fish farm (I had the smoked salmon which was so delicious!) In addition to the tasty dishes that are served, guests will enjoy the beautiful atmosphere which is really cozy and modern – props to the design team for their use of unique shapes/interiors, inviting color scheme, and dreamy lighting!
Juniper & Kin
Located on the 21st floor, this gorgeous rooftop bar & restaurant offers incredible panoramic views of Amsterdam. The stylish interior, romantic lighting, live music, diamond checkered floor, and tropical house plants really leave a lasting impression on visitors. Their flavorful dishes and bold cocktails are expertly crafted with produce & botanicals picked by the hour from their very own greenhouse. The service is fast, attentive, and friendly. It’s definitely an exciting and intimate place for a night out with friends or significant other.
Things to know / Tips
- The exterior of the QO is one of the most visible elements of circularity that shape the living building. Made up of a series of fully responsive thermal panels, it adapts and reacts to the climate outside the hotel, working as one or individually to control the temperature inside.
- The hotel makes it a mission to using long-lasting instead of throwaway items. They reuse, repurpose, or recycle before we even consider discarding something. They’re proud to put this into practice throughout the QO. It’s the force behind their greenhouse – the core of their living building – where you can see the concept brought to life.
- QO has been Green Globe certified since July 2019 – Green Globe is a worldwide certification program for sustainable travel and tourism. It focuses on the economic, social, and environmental management.
- There is no gym – they provide access to the one across the road during my visit.
- There’s a zero plastic policy in their restaurants.
- The metro station is a 5 min walk away.
- Ask for a high room for the views.
- There’s a bicycle rental on-site.
If any of you guys have any questions about this resort, let me know! I would love to answer or help in any way.
P.S. I dedicated an Instagram story highlight just for Amsterdam – so definitely check that out to see most of what I talked about on video.
Address | Amstelvlietstraat 4, 1096 GG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What’s nearby | Metro Spaklerweg, Van Gogh Museum, Leidseplein, Dam Square, Anne Frank House
Number of Guest Rooms | 288 Guestrooms including 12 suites arranged over 21 floors
Restaurants & Bars | 1 Restaurant & 2 Bars/lounges
Swimming Pools | 1 Outdoor Pool & 1 Indoor Pool
Services & Amenities | Room Service, Concierge, 24-Hour Reception, Airport shuttle, Air Conditioner, Laundry, Dry cleaning service, Luggage Storage, Daily housekeeping, Tour/ticket assistance, Porter/bellhop, Meeting rooms, Business center, ATM (on-site), Convenience store (on-site), Bicycle rental
Parking | Free private parking is available on-site (reservation is not needed).
Accessibility | Facilities for disabled guests, Wheelchair accessible, Bathroom accessible, Handrails in stairways, Roll-in shower, Well-lit path to entrance
Future: Toilet with grab rails, Raised toilet, Lowered sink.
Internet | WiFi is available in all areas and is free of charge.
Pets | Not allowed (service animals welcome)
General | Elevators, Soundproof / Hypoallergenic / Non-smoking rooms, Terrace, Garden, Picnic area, Outdoor Furniture
Safety & Security | 24-hour security, Security alarm, Smoke alarms, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Fire extinguishers, Safe
For more information on booking your stay at QO Amsterdam, see here.