Travel has the ability to open your eyes to the beauty of this world. It presents your mind & soul with new ideas, new ways of life, and new experiences that you will cherish from years to come. Throughout your journey, you’ll also encounter some incredible photo opportunities. Thanks to modern technology you don’t necessarily have to own a professional camera to capture and produce quality photos. Smartphones nowadays are built with cameras that rival some of the best DSLR’s in the market. But they do have their limits and if you’ve been thinking of upgrading your smartphone and getting yourself some professional camera gear but have no clue where to start, then this guide was made for you!
I’ve been getting tons of questions for the past couple of years as to what camera & equipment I use on my day to day shoots and honestly I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to put this guide together for you. Some of you might be beginners in the field of photography and are looking to pursue a professional career as a content creator while some of you may just want to elevate your current hobby gear to the next level. Whatever the case may be this guide has got you covered!
Why take your advice Meko?
I’ve been a professional digital content creator for the past 7+ years and have had the opportunity to work with some major brands like Google, Neiman Marcus, Travel & Leisure Magazine, and countless of tourism boards/hotels. All of these incredible travel experiences/brand partnerships have taught me a thing or two when it comes to selecting professional essential equipment to help me produce the best work that I can for all of you and my clients. Shooting on my iPhone is honestly how I got my start and developed a real passion for photography. As the years went by and the more educated I became about DSLR / Mirrorless cameras, I decided to take the plunge and invest in some professional equipment to help elevate the quality of my work. Anyone who works with me knows that I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to shooting/editing my content.
Environmental aesthetics, composition, color schemes, wardrobe, finding one’s mark all play an important role to me when it comes to the final results. Some creators may not stress with the little details as I do and that’s totally ok. We’re all blessed with completely different visions and perspectives when it comes to creating our own art and that’s what makes photography so beautiful to me. If we all worked the same way life would be boring. Take pride in what makes you and your work unique and don’t worry about what others think. There are no rules when it comes to creating art. Stay true to yourself and do what makes you happy and just forget the rest!
Now before I start this informative & lengthy guide, I just want to say thank you for taking the time out of your precious day to take my recommendations into consideration. I hope all of you can take something of value from this guide and apply it to your decision making process and current workflow. There’s no greater feeling when you invest in yourself and your passion. Let’s get started!
What camera do you use?
This bad boy has really changed the game for me and has elevated the quality of my photos and videos. It’s such a great camera for any of you that are interested in stepping foot into the travel photography/videography world. It has a large sensor (24.2-megapixel) which lets you capture vibrant, crystal-clear photos and videos. I really love how compact, lightweight, and powerful this camera is – its build makes it so easy to carry around and set up for shoots/vlogging. If you pair the advance body of this camera with the right lens (more on that below) you get incredible results! The 4K recording capabilities, face detection, lightning-fast autofocus, highly precise subject tracking, flip-up touch screen, and interchangeable lenses really make this camera a standout in today’s market. When I purchased this camera I got the bundle that included the E 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens.
- BIONZ X™ image-processing engine delivers blazing-fast speed and performance.
- Capture fast-action shots at up to 11 fps (frames per second).
- 24.2MP APS-C Exmor CMOS Sensor.
- Ultra HD 4K video recording.
- Fast hybrid autofocus for stills and movies.
- Built-in pop-up flash for proper illumination.
- 180-degree fully tiltable LCD touch screen for self-recording.
- Instant sharing via smartphone with Wi-Fi and NFC.
- Easily connect your camera to an HDTV for immediate movie playback (HDMI cable is required and sold separately).
- The one-touch remote feature makes your smartphone or tablet a viewfinder/remote control, while the one-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to your device for SNS sharing.
- Multiformat memory slot for storing or transferring data (Accepts SD, SDHC, SDXC, M2, MS PRO Duo and MS PRO-HG Duo -Memory cards are not included).
What lens do you use?
This lens has transformed my Sony a6400 camera into a beast! The sharpness and clarity produced from this compact lens has elevated my images & videos to a whole new respectable level. It performs beautifully in lowlight settings because of its wide aperture of 1.4. The fast autofocus does an excellent job of giving a wide view of the image while still providing the bokeh effect – blurry background look. It’s currently my favorite lens in my collection as I use it for pretty much everything – landscape, street photography, and astrophotography.
- Wide-angle field of view.
- Fantastic image quality.
- Very sharp.
- Fantastic build quality: extra dust and splash water-resistant.
- Versatile with its fast maximum aperture.
- Available for Sony E and Micro Four Thirds systems.
- High brightness, beautiful bokeh.
What are some of your favorite camera accessories?
Polarizer Camera Lens Filter
When I’m shooting outdoors during harsh & glaring lighting conditions, I immediately grab this circular polarizer camera lens filter (55 mm) out of my bag and place it onto my camera. This little blessing in disguise helps reduce / eliminate glare from the sun as well as deepens the blue skies in your photos! You can adjust the level of polarization to your liking. Having this in my arsenal has really improved the quality of my photos dramatically! I never leave without it during my travels.
The Sony a6400, unfortunately, doesn’t come with IBIS (in-body image stabilization) and to help remove all the shakiness with your videos, you need a gimbal! The WEEBILL-S by Zhiyun is what I currently use. Thanks to its lightweight body and a unique Sling mode, WEEBILL-S brings an effortless shooting experience. The quick-release system that comes with this gimbal is pretty neat – it allows you to put your camera on and off if you need to make any adjustments or if you want to remove the whole thing altogether and just shoot with the camera as normal. The all-inclusive intuitive OLED display shows various adjustable parameters, including motor strength, follow speed, smoothness, deadband, key customization and more, all of which can be directly controlled via the handle without having to enter the app. When you receive the gimbal there’s a whole list of steps to perform to calibrate it with your camera, lens, and accessories attached. I can’t stress the importance of making sure you complete the calibration process and doing it right.
- With ergonomically designed Sling mode, it provides an effortless shooting experience.
- Easily handles mainstream mirrorless and DSLR camera and lens combos.
- Six creative shooting modes (Full-range POV, Vortex, GO, PF, F, and L modes).
- ViaTouch 2.0 system allows you to turn your phone screen into a professional monitor and multifunctional remote controller.
- More advanced cinematic features, such as panorama, timelapse, motionlapse, and long exposure timelapse, can be easily achieved within the ZY Play app.
- Adopts the popular two-in-one quick-release plates (Manfrotto and Arca-Swiss), allowing easy setup and fast transition between equipment without rebalancing.
- Interchangeable batteries: Keep your camera charged in real-time, ensuring a reliable and effective shooting for long-time tasks
- Three 1/4″ thread holes which offer great compatibility to multiple accessories.
- The battery operating time is about 14 hours.
The a6400 built-in microphone does a pretty good job but it does tend to pick up a ton of extra noise. My favorite external microphone would be the RodeVideoMicro. It does an incredible job of capturing clear high-quality sound when recording the subject! It’s budget-friendly, compact, and lightweight. A furry windshield is also included which blocks strong winds from hitting the microphone and causing unwanted noise – particularly helpful when you’re recording outdoors. Another great feature is that no battery is needed to put it to use – just plug in the detachable coiled 3.5mm cable into your camera and you’re all set. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, it’s a great addition to your camera. You’ll also find it super easy to set up and store away when not in use.
- Rycote® Lyre® shock mount included (inhibits the transfer of vibrations from the camera).
- Compact size and lightweight – only 80mm (3’) long and 42gm (1.5oz).
- All-metal microphone body.
- No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power – 2V-5V).
- Deluxe furry windshield included.
This wireless multi-function remote control from Sony is what I use to help me shoot myself when I’m all alone during my trips. The single remote is able to remotely release the camera’s shutter, and start/stop video recording all while staying in the perfect shooting position. You will find it so handy to watch slideshows, movies and adjust settings without touching your camera!
- Take pictures from a distance.
- Operates via Bluetooth connectivity, eliminating the need for wires, cables or receivers to connect the remote directly to the camera.
- Eliminate potential camera body shake and even put yourself in the picture.
- Remote shutter release control.
- Video record start/stop.
- Single Shot, Burst, 2 Second Self Timer control.
- Slideshow Playback Control.
- Playback and Delete Control.
Before you use your new camera make sure you have this protection in place! If you scratch the screen protector it’s not a big deal because you can easily replace it but can you imagine if you permanently scratched the camera’s viewfinder? Talk about a regrettable situation! Save yourself the trouble by getting the Sony PCK-LM17 screen protector. I know that it’s advertised for a6000 use but it works perfectly fine with the Sony a6400 (I’m using it on mine). The quality is excellent and very simple to attach (make sure your screen is really clean before installing). The touch screen still functions properly after applying and has no effect on the clarity of the LCD
- Protects LCD from cracks, scratches, and fingerprints.
- Polycarbonate Material.
Getting yourself a memory card is essential if you’re looking to own a camera. Without it, you’re not going to capture many photos or videos. The Sony Alpha 6400 (hyperlink) doesn’t come with one but if you’re lucky you’ll encounter some retailers that will offer a special bundle that might include a memory card. Chances are it’s something you’re going to have to pick up separately. The Sony Alpha 6400 has only one SD card slot that supports only UHS-I SD cards but to take advantage of 4k video, you will need U3 memory cards. Sony does not specify the maximum capacity of memory cards that the camera can use.
My personal favorite is the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card. This powerful and inexpensive card by SanDisk is designed for SD devices that can capture Full HD, 3D, and 4K video, as well as raw and burst photography. Your postproduction workflow is accelerated all thanks to its fast transfer speed – delivers up to 170MB/s. It’s built to withstand weather, water, shocks, and other less-than-ideal conditions so you can rest assured that it’s good to go wherever your work takes you. There’s also a built-in write-protect switch that helps to safeguard against the accidental erasure of card data.
- 64GB Storage Capacity.
- UHS-I / V30 / U3 / Class 10.
- Max Read Speed: 170 MB/s.
- Max Write Speed: 90 MB/s.
- Min Write Speed: 30 MB/s.
- Records Full HD, 3D, and 4K Video.
- Built-In Write-Protect Switch.
- Also comes in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB sizes.
SD Memory Card Case
So you’ve filled your SD cards with tons of beautiful memories, now what? Due to their small nature, they can easily get lost when removed from the device or get damaged due to their fragile nature. Getting yourself an SD memory card case is going to make your life a bit more easier by keeping your cards organized, secured, and protected. Don’t put yourself through the struggle of searching around your camera bag trying to find a tiny SD card or worse, accidentally lose one – it’s so not worth it! You want to make sure you invest in a case that is made from a sturdy material to resist breakage, impact or shock, comes in slots to accommodate several cards, and will stay closed to prevent them from falling off. Here are some of my top picks!
Personal Favorite: Pelican 0915 Memory Card Case
This memory card case is my personal favorite and all for good reason. The case is virtually indestructible and can endure impact, knocks, vibration, scratches, and falls. It has a smooth inner lining for extra protection and is very easy to open and close. However, it won’t open by accident and this guarantees you of full protection for your precious memory cards.
- Stores 12 SD cards, 6 mini SD cards, and 6 micro SD cards-in snug, formfitting cutouts.
- Insert liner absorbs shock and protects memory cards.
- Removable Insert liner.
- Water-resistant seal.
- Made of tough Polycarbonate resin.
- When closed, the case is virtually indestructible and, of course, protects its contents from damage caused by water or moisture.
Runner up: Eco-Fused Memory Card Carrying Case
If you’re on a budget then this memory card case is for you. It’s high-quality build makes it strong and durable against elements such as radiation, dust, water, impact, shock, and electromagnetic waves that can damage your precious cards. It’s suitable for a range of memory cards including SD and SDHC and has 22 slots and 8 durable plastic pages. It can be used to hold smaller items such as sim cards, coins, car fuses, guitar picks, button cell batteries, fishing hooks, etc. To help with keep things tagged and organized, you’ll find a sticker set included with the case as well as microfiber cloth to help clean the case.
- All 22 or 44 slots (small and large) will fit SD, SDHC, Mini SD, Micro SD, Memory Stick Pro Duo, XD and MMC cards. Compact Flash (CF) cards can be stored in the 8 large slots.
- 18 small slots that hold cards up to 24mm wide and 4 large slots that hold cards up to 43mm wide.
- The case has a high-quality zipper and it is made from durable nylon mesh. It’s tough and lightweight, so it will protect the case contents.
- Comes with 2x Sticker Tag Sheets and 1x Cleaning Cloth.
- 5 colors available (Black, Blue, Purple, Green, and Grey).
3rd runner up: Kiorafoto Professional Memory Card Case
This solid and lightweight case will provide your memory cards with the ultimate protection against water, dust, debris all while giving you easy access. It’s able to fit in your pocket, purse, handbag and other small spaces. The weather-resistant silicone unit can store 12 SD and 12 Micro SD cards and includes a convenient carabiner. The inner rubber interior lining is used for shock absorption.
- Snap-on locking system.
- Has a molded eyelet for attaching the case to a strap or hook.
- Exterior is made of durable polycarbonate resin with a weather-resistant seal to keep out water, dust, and debris.
- The individual card slots are designed to hold the cards in either direction, which helps with identifying which cards are empty or full.
This leash camera strap from Peak Design is designed to provide photographers with the ability to quickly and easily detach a connected camera from it for such purposes as moving only the camera to a tripod, or connecting another camera to the strap. This is made possible due to the included Peak Design Anchor Links. Each anchor link creates a durable, snap-in or snap-out connection point to a strap eyelet on a wide variety of cameras.
Carry your camera hands-free with this Leash camera strap. It has different configurations, so you can use it as a sling, neck strap or safety tether, and the length is adjustable up to 57.1 inches to accommodate different body types. This Leash camera strap has a unique anchor system that connects and disconnects quickly.
- Allows for Quick Separation from Camera.
- Use as Neck, Shoulder, Cross-Body Strap.
- 32.6 to 57.1″ Adjustable Length.
- Comfortable, Nylon Webbing.
- Durable, Versatile Camera Connectors.
- Low-Profile Anchor Mount.
- Twist Resistant, Soft Pouch.
Clutch Hand Strap
This clutch hand strap quickly connects to and disconnects from your camera with a dyneema anchor and a tension clip. The strap wraps around your hand and can be easily adjusted with your non-shooting hand for making it tighter when you are walking. Or loosen it when you need better access to your controls while shooting.
An included Arca-type compatible quick release plate attaches to your camera tripod mount, and one of the included anchors can be tied into the plate. Simply slide the Anchor into the Link to attach the strap, and slide it out to detach it. To attach the top of the strap to the top of your camera, a custom-designed tension clip acts as a small carabiner. The strap can be adjusted from 7.1 to 11.4″.
- Provides solid grip, but easy access to controls.
- Attach & remove with ease.
- Compatible with any DSLR (or SLR) camera, including large full-frame bodies and cameras with battery grips.
- Low-profile aesthetic design.
This cage is also specially designed for Sony Alpha A6400 and is used to secure your camera with richer expansibility; you can mount additional accessories like an external microphone or LED light on top through a relocated center hot shoe mount. It also acts as a protective barrier against scratches and devastating falls. Access to the battery slot and to the camera controls is maintained when the cage is mounted on your camera. Both 1/4″-20 and 3/8″-16 threads are provided at the bottom for mounting the cage on a tripod or tripod plate. The cage also prevents overheating by distributing the heat across the entire body of the camera and not condensing the heat to once concentrated spot. Finally, it helps stabilize your camera, which means sharper photos!
- Form-fitting Camera Cage.
- Cold shoe Microphone Mount.
- Multiple 1/4″-20 Accessory Threads.
Not only are you going to need an extra set of batteries but you’re also going to need a solid dual-slot charger to go with them. This rechargeable battery and charger set by RavPower is just what you need to extend your photo/video sessions. It comes with two extra replacement batteries that are made to the exact specifications of the Sony NP-FW50 battery with a slightly larger capacity of 1100mAh/8.14w. You can monitor the charging status of the batteries and clearly see when the battery is 100% charged. Like your original battery, the RAVPower ones can also be charged inside your camera or with the original charger. The charger and battery are completely interchangeable.
- Fully charges 1 battery in 2hrs and 2 batteries simultaneously in 3hrs with a 5V/2.1A input.
- Includes a type C and a micro USB charging port for more options (via wall charger, car charger, power bank) to recharge batteries with convenience.
- The charger has multiple circuit protection to prevent over-charging short-circuiting and overheating.
- 100% compatible with Sony Alpha 6000/6300/6400/6500/5100/7/7II/7R/7RII/7S/7SII and more (Note: NOT FOR A7III).
- 2 x Replacement Battery for Sony NP-FW50 1100mAh.
- 1 x DC Dual Battery Charger.
- 1 x micro-USB Cable.
This powerful, versatile, and ergonomically-designed device is going to effectively extend the battery life of your camera meaning more shooting time! I take this with me on all my shoots and never have to sweat about running out of battery power. The grip also blends beautifully with your camera giving it a very high-end look.
- It’s able to hold two batteries (NP-FW50) – Lithium batteries (not included) and will switch from the exhausted battery to the fresh battery seamlessly.
- Has a power display (just wanted to note that once you have both batteries inside the device, it will display the power of one battery at a time. When that one battery becomes exhausted it will then display the power for the next fresh battery).
- The anti-slip rubber grip offers a comfortable and secure way for you to hold your Sony camera, especially in the vertical position.
- Comes with a shutter release button to make vertical shooting a breeze because you no longer need to twist your wrist to press the shutter release button on your camera.
- Has a tripod socket to mount your camera directly to a tripod.
- Has an extra shutter button so that you can still get a shutter button on the “top” right where you’re used to.
- The remote control that comes with it gives you the possibility to set the number of photos, delay time, exposure time, to use bulb mode, and so on – max distance for remote control can reach to about 100m.
- 2xAAA batteries (for remote control – not included).
- Support screen lock function and lock display mode. Allow for setting delay time, exposure time, time interval and number of shots.
- Compatible with Sony A6000 series cameras.
External SSD Drive
Getting yourself a portable external SSD drive when your traveling is highly recommended. The last thing you want to worry about is storage and or having your recent photos be permanently deleted all because you accidentally damaged your camera/memory card – talk about tragic! Do yourself a huge favor and backup your precious photos whenever you’re done with a shoot. This SSD drive by Sandisk is amazing. It’s tiny, light, and super fast, truly living up to the promised 550 MB/s. The 1TB capacity offers ample room for backing up video or capturing images. Resistant to water and dust, this device protects your data during travel, and the compact size fits neatly in a briefcase or camera bag. It also has a cutaway on one corner so you can attach it to things like a keychain or a backpack. I honestly find this device ideal for storing high-resolution pictures and videos.
- Up to 2TB Storage Capacity.
- USB 3.1 Interface Gen-2 (10Gb/s), USB 2.0 Compatible.
- Data Protection with Hardware Encryption.
- Ruggedized, Shock-resistant, water- and dust-resistant.
- Compatible with PC and Mac.
Universal Travel Adapter
If you’re traveling overseas then you’re going to need an international adapter to help keep all your electronic devices charged and ready for use. The all in one world multi-function travel adapter by Epicka covers more than 150 countries with US/EU/AU/UK plugs. It’s affordable, compact, well built, and capable of charging up to six devices at once. It’s compatible with a variety of devices, including Apple and Android products as well as devices like tablets and digital cameras. Included is a nylon travel bag, spare fuse for replacement, and a two-foot charging cord for Android and Apple devices. You should honestly bring several adapters or one adapter with a power strip if you plan to charge more than one electronic device per day as each adapter can power only one device at a time.
- Charges up to 6 devices at once: 4 standard USB ports, 1 USB Type-C port, and 1 AC socket.
- Overload dual fuse protection helps safeguard the device against current and voltage spikes.
- USB port output up to 2.4 amps assists in promoting quick charging.
- Extra iPhone charger included.
- Includes spare fuse for replacement.
- Max. Power: 880W at 110Vac / 1840W at 230Vac.
- Input: 100-240Vac 50/60Hz.
- Total Output: 5Vdc 5.6A Max.
- Single USB: 5Vdc 2.4A Max.
- Type-C port: 5Vdc 3A Max.
- Fuse Rating: 8A Max.
- Certification: FCC / CE-LVD / CE-EMC / RoHS.
The a6400 is a mirrorless camera which means that it doesn’t have a mirror to act as a barrier for the sensor (#mirrorlessproblems). Cleaning your sensor is habit that you need to adopt because mirrorless cameras are more prone to dust. I highly recommend you get yourself a manual air blower. It’s going to keep your camera sensor crystal clear! A dirty image no matter how creatively composed will ruin your work!
This affordable medium rocket air blaster easily removes dust and debris from cameras, lenses and filters with a powerful blast of air. It includes a one-way valve to prevent the air blaster from breathing in dust and spreading it back to your equipment. The unique rocket-shaped design can stand upright, and its removable nozzle can be removed and stowed.
- Overall 7.5 inches long with a 2.25-inch nozzle.
- Produces a large blast of clean directional air.
- Instant rebound of bulb pressure.
- One way valve brings clean air and does not re-distribute the dust.
- Made of high-grade long-life silicon rubber.
- Stands upright.
Tip: Once you’re done cleaning your camera sensor, you can check if the dust was removed successfully by following these steps on your Sony a6400 camera.
- Set the shooting mode to Aperture Priority (A), and the aperture value to 11.
- Take a picture of a white wall, white paper, or the sky.
- Make sure that no dust shows on the image.
Preserve the spotlessness and clarity of your camera lenses with these lens-cleaning wipes from Care Touch. The ammonia-free formula lets you safely wipe the surface of any glass surface clean without streaks or scratches.
- Streak-Free Formula – These wipes have a high-tech formula to clean effectively and dry quickly without leaving behind streaks or residue. Aside from keeping your cleaning your camera lens it easily cleans everything from your phone, glasses, screens, or other surfaces.
- Gentle and Effective – The wipes are suitable for all glass surfaces and safe for coated lenses, making it ideal for most applications. The wipes are big enough for large screens and made of a soft, lightweight material that’s gentle but effective.
- Convenient – These wipes are small and individually wrapped making it easy to carry a few in your bag so you can easily your lenses or devices on-the-go. This makes them the perfect cleaning wipes for glasses and smartphone screens. The larger wipes are also made to clean larger screens and surfaces.
- Package Contents – 210 Individually Wrapped Cleansing Wipes.
What tripod do you use?
Travel tripods have to be small enough to pack, light enough to carry and sturdy enough to hold your camera/lens and prevent blurry and crooked photos. If you want to elevate and dramatically improve the quality of your images, you need a tripod! Period.
Now when it comes to selecting a tripod, there’s isn’t a one size fits all. Aside from wanting a travel tripod that is light and durable, you also have to take weight, height, price, and building material (aluminum vs carbon fiber) into consideration. If you need to carry a tripod around, your best bet would be a carbon fiber one because of it’s lightweight build meaning more places for you to set up with relative ease.
The K&F Concept TM2324 is what I’ve been using recently on all my adventure trips and all for good reason. I have an appreciation for how lightweight, compact, and stable the tripod is. I’m also able to easily and quickly set up the tripod in less than 2 mins due to its effortless flip leg lock system. The 360-degree ball head is pretty strong for its size and locks down with confidence. It’s Arca-Swiss build easily accepts all of my Arca-Swiss plates making the switch from portrait to landscape a breeze! For the quality and price point of the tripod, it seems like a no -brainer!
- The tube is made of quality magnesium alloy.
- The tripod legs can be inverted and folded back 180 degrees.
- Has a 22 lbs load capacity which is suitable for large DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.
- The ball head can be rotated 360 degrees which helps to improve camera activity range when panoramic shooting.
- The leg can convert into a monopod.
- It’s height range maxes out at 61.4”.
- It’s folded height comes at 18.1”, small enough to carry outdoors.
- Comes with a cool, heavy-duty, black canvas bag with high-quality zippers, padded handle and shoulder strap.
- You’ll find the ball head protectively contained in a black velvet bag.
- There is a spring-loaded hook at the bottom of the center column allowing you to hang extra baggage.
- The center column reverses allowing you to mount the camera upside down which helps when shooting macro photography
- The tripod legs have three positions allowing you to adjust the tripod extremely low to the ground.
- For a camera with a telephoto zoom lens, you need to buy a tripod mount ring additionally or a telephoto lens bracket for better balance.
What’s the difference between carbon fiber and aluminum tripod? Which one is better?
Carbon fiber and aluminum both have their advantages and disadvantages. There’s isn’t a right or wrong choice when deciding to select either one. I just want you to understand the difference so that you select the one that’s most relevant to your needs.
Carbon fiber tripods are stronger (5x more than steel), lighter, and resistant to scratches/corrosion/weather. It’s a bit more expensive than its metallic counterpart because of the production cost. Aluminum tripods on the other hand are much more stable (due to its heavier build) and because it weighs more it won’t transmit vibrations to your camera which is the leading cause of blurry photos. They’re also less affected by heavy gusts of wind.
I want to clarify that just because aluminum tripods are more affordable doesn’t make them cheap in quality. Some purchase them because they only intend to use them indoors and not carry them around or for the high level of stability that their weight provides.
This extremely lightweight, sturdy, and versatile mini tripod can hold up to 5.5 lb while weighing only 9.4 oz. It boasts two different leg angles complete with a sliding selector. Additional features include the two-section legs that can be adjusted in five simple steps. This will improve your stability on uneven surfaces. You’re sure to maintain that perfect shot thanks to this innovative technology. When looking for the right angle, the tripod can tilt to a full 90°, ideal for taking your pictures and recordings in portrait mode. I mostly use this tripod as a selfie stick when attached to my Sony a6400.
- Adjustable legs and leg angles.
- Built-in ball head.
- Perfect for entry-level DSLR.
- Head offers up to 90 Deg. Tilt.
- Supports up to 5.5lbs.
What type of Drone do you use?
If you want a fresh and exciting aerial perspective with your photos and videos then adding a drone to your arsenal of travel gear is going to give you that creative edge. Nowadays you have plenty of options to choose from but again you want to stick with something that is lightweight and compact. Every ounce of weight counts as you’ll be lugging all this extra gear with you on your future adventures.
Trust me you want to make your shooting experience seamless and not a burden. Now, this is where the DJI Mavic Mini Pro drone comes to play. Aside from ease of use, long flight time (up to 30 mins), and relatively cheap prices compared to full-on pro-level drones, this ultra-lightweight folding drone delivers professional high-quality photo and 4k video performance. A three-axis motorized gimbal provides high camera stability and ensures clear smooth footage.
Several cool features included with the Mavic Mini is that you can see what your drone sees through its camera straight to your phone or tablet using a free iOS or Android app. You can go on a virtual flight, set up great photographs, and monitor telemetry data. It even has a flight tutorial, which helps you get started quickly and safely. The propeller guards reduce the risk of harm or damage to people or objects from accidental collisions with the aircraft. Thanks to its downward-vision-sensing system and GPS, the Mavic Mini can also hover precisely both indoors and outdoors.
I also want to point out that because this drone is so light (weighing under 250 grams) you can fly the Mavic Mini in places where larger drones are legally not permitted, or where a drone license is required – one less stress off your back! All these amazing features jam-packed into this small and powerful device truly makes it the perfect drone for traveling.
I highly recommend you get the DJI Mavic Mini Combo instead of buying the Mavic Mini alone which gives you extra accessories for an amazing deal!
What’s included with the DJI Mavic Mini Combo:
- DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Combo Quadcopter with Remote Controller.
- Carrying Bag.
- 3 Intelligent Flight Battery.
- 3 Pairs of Spare Propellers.
- 2 Micro USB Cable.
- Gimbal protector, 360° propeller guard.
- Pair of Spare Control Sticks, 18 Spare Screw Screwdriver.
- 360° Propeller Guard.
- DJI 18W USB charger, two-way charging hub.
- RC Cable (Micro USB connector) RC Cable (USB-C connector) RC Cable (Lightning connector).
Memory Card for Drone
The only thing that’s a bummer with the combo is that it doesn’t include a microSD card. The DJI Mavic Mini has only one card slot that is limited to UHS-I speeds. That means you don’t need to pay extra money on the fast UHS-II cards since you can’t get the extra write speeds from the UHS-II microSD cards unless you really need the fast read speeds (which enables you to transfer files to your computer quicker). Recording on the DJI Mavic Mini requires a minimum class 10 or UHS-1 microSD card up to 256 GB in size.
The SanDisk Extreme Plus UHS-I is the best of the best as it has max read speed at 170MB/s and max write speed at 90MB/s. It’s perfect for capturing Full HD, 3D, and 4K video, as well as raw and burst photography. In addition, the SanDisk Extreme UHS-I microSD cards feature a speed class rating of V30 and U3 standard, which guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. Available in 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB, 512GB and 1TB sizes.
Please Fly Responsibly: Before takeoff, update all software and firmware, and read the instructions thoroughly.
- See the FAA website for registration requirements and information about flying a drone safely: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/. Additional state or local requirements may apply.
- Check your local jurisdiction. The following websites may help you make informed decisions about flying your drone: www.knowbeforeyoufly.org and www.modelaircraft.org.
What’s your favorite camera bag?
Now that you’ve gathered your arsenal of camera gear to take on the world, you’re going to need a proper camera bag to store them in. A good camera bag needs to contain enough space for your camera body, accessories, laptop, an extra layer of clothing, and or even a drone. But that’s not all, you want to make sure that your bag is light/portable and has great protection / easy accessibility to your gear.
Camera bags need to be tailored to suit what type of photography you do. Should you invest in a shoulder bag or a classic backpack? Sling bag or holster? Or maybe a hard case? (The options can be so overwhelming because there really isn’t a one size fits all!) You want a bag that fits your personal style, can hold the gear you want to travel with, all while fitting into a set budget. Camera bags can be quite expensive but you don’t need to spend a ton to own a quality camera bag. I’ve tested the waters on a variety of bags throughout the years and definitely know what bags are the best bang for your buck.
I also took into consideration on listing options that weren’t obvious that one was hauling a load of expensive photography equipment, ultimately making them a prime target for pickpocketing or theft (not today satan, not today!). You’ll find a spectrum of premium and budget options below that will hopefully fit your budget and preference. I personally love using a shoulder bag for my day to day shoots in the city because it gives me easy access to all my camera gear and it allows me to put on and take off on a whim. I work based on spontaneous visual impulse which requires me to be ready to ‘capture the moment’ at any given time.
When I’m traveling for an extended period of time, I’ll switch it up and take a backpack with me instead because it helps distribute the weight of my camera gear better on the body and puts less strain on my poor back. The only downside is that it will take you a bit more time to get ready to take a photo vs having your camera in a shoulder bag.
Shoulder Bag | Premium Option
I take this stylish canvas messenger with me on my day to day shoots while commuting throughout the city. It’s designed for the photographer, traveler, creative, urban commuter, and everyone in between. The big selling points for me were the intelligent layout and unique /versatile set of pockets that can accommodate just about anything.
- Premium build quality.
- 2 adjustable dividers and an internal layout designed to hold a full-frame DSLR or mirrorless camera + two lenses (3 lenses with the 15″ model), and accessories.
- You can fit the DJI Mavic and DJI Spark, with controller and accessories.
- There’s a built-in tripod carry feature that works with nearly all tripods, from travel to full-size models.
- Adjustable latching system.
- 2 dedicated Capture clip attachment points for fast exterior camera access.
- Has a unique construction that lets the bag expand and contract without losing shape.
- Dedicated, protected laptop pocket with a tablet/document sleeve is accessible without opening the main bag compartment.
- Approved for carry-on by all major airlines. Both sizes (13” & 15”) fit easily under airplane seats.
- Beautiful metal hardware.
- Comfy straps.
There’s a new vision that was released that features upgraded FlexFold dividers, more durable fabric on the small internal pockets, and upgraded weatherproofing treatment to the exterior shell. Aside from that, it’s the same versatile, beautiful bag. V2 available in Charcoal and Ash, V1 available in Tan at a discounted price.
Shoulder Bag | Budget Option
This was my first camera shoulder bag that I purchased and can’t recommend it enough. It’s still holding up nicely after a couple of years of use. It’s able to carry your camera, lenses, and other camera accessories with a customizable padded interior. The bag also features adjustable straps on the exterior to attach and carry a tripod. You’ll also find padded slots that are able to fit an iPad mini, Kindle Fire, Google Nexus 7, and other small devices. Additional pockets in the front offer a space for a cell phone and other electronics and accessories. Lastly, the adjustable, heavily padded, shoulder strap makes the gadget bag comfortable to wear even when loaded with all your gear. Make sure you get a large size instead of medium.
- Holds 1 DSLR body and up to 3 lenses.
- Movable internal dividers allow for optimal storage.
- Exterior straps secure tripods or other bulky accessories.
- Product Dimensions: 5×7.9×11.8 inches (LxWxH); 1.6 pounds.
Backpack | Premium Option
This professional camera backpack by Lowepro comes with everything you’d want in a camera backpack. It delivers on all fronts: accessibility, versatility, comfort, and organization. It can carry one or two Pro DSLRs, including one with an attached 70-200mm lens, this bag will also accommodate eight additional lenses or flash units, as well as a tripod, and a 15″ laptop. Four access points at the top, sides, and back help you to organize your gear and quickly grab it to get a shot. Create customized configurations with the SlipLock-compatible strap system and adjustable interior dividers. Additionally, the bag offers a built-in, all-weather cover to safeguard your gear against the elements.
- Fits 2 Pro DSLRs, one with 70-200mm lens attached, 6-8 lenses.
- Four access points at the top, sides, and back help you quickly and organize your gear or grab it to get a shot.
- Adjustable interior dividers for a snug, secure fit, and easy customization.
- Add a tripod or monopod to the outside of the bag using the included cinch straps and tripod cup.
- CradleFit pocket protects your 15” laptop within the pack.
- The robust SlipLock™ compatible strap system allows you to attach extra gear when you need it.
- ActivZone System Harness for targeted comfort and support.
- Removable Waist Belt.
Backpack | Budget Option
This lightweight, sturdy, and waterproof backpack by CADen offers 7 versatile storage compartments that allow you to fit your camera, accessories, and other personal belongings in one safe and convenient place. If you get a large size it offers a 15.6″ laptop storage compartment. It’s designed with adjustable padded shoulder straps to give your shoulders some great comfort. On the bottom of the camera bag is a tripod or trekking pole place. There’s also a side elastic mesh bag convenient for your bottle or umbrella storage. You can also use it as a normal backpack by removing all of the internal paddings. I personally use this bag when I’m on an extended travel trip.
- Fits 1 camera bodies, 4 lens, 15.6″ laptop, external flash unit, tripod place, other accessories. Or for DJI drone.
- High-elasticity mesh bags on both sides for bottle and umbrella.
- Waterproof made of high density waterproof 900D polyester nylon, which protects your photography gears from rain and damage.
- Adjustable shoulder straps inner are made of high elasticity, breathable decompression memory foam, and outer breathable mesh which are very comfortable design.
What do you use to edit your photos?
Once I’ve captured all my photos for the day I immediately import them to my Apple MacBook Pro and individually analyze each and every one of them. I then create a separate folder where I transfer all of my favorites photos to. Adobe Lightroom is what I use to edit all of my images. Lightroom comes with a full set of tools for managing thousands upon thousands of photos, as well as editing tools for retouching and fine-tuning. To help speed up post-production, I created my own presets which are a set of different moods and editing adjustments that allow me to easily re-apply the same adjustments to multiple photos (it’s honestly a godsend).
The Apple Macbook was the first laptop that I purchased and have upgraded to several versions throughout the years. This model is what I currently use and all for good reason. I really love how sleek, light, fast, and quiet this laptop is! The large screen is very clear and crisp. The incredible processor and graphics card allows you to multitask several programs seamlessly without it getting hot from all the heavy workload. ! It’s crucial to have a fast computer that is able to work on heavy projects like photography or videos. I’m also really impressed with the speakers and touch bar on this beast. It’s very practical for everyday use, both personal and professional!
- Ninth-generation 6-Core Intel Core i7 Processor.
- Stunning 16-inch Retina Display with True Tone technology.
- Touch Bar and Touch ID.
- AMD Radeon Pro 5300M Graphics with GDDR6 memory.
- Ultrafast SSD.
- Intel UHD Graphics 630.
- Six-speaker system with force-cancelling woofers.
- Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports.
- Up to 11 hours of battery life.
- 802.11AC Wi-Fi.
- MacBook Hard Shell Cover contains a layer of Rubber Oil Paint for a Smooth Rubberized Exterior Texture – Prevent Fingerprints, Slipping, Scratches, Drops, Dirt, Smudges and Other Damages.
- Cut Out Design, Shines through the case. Design lets you Open/Close your MacBook all the way and Full Access to All Ports.
- Easy to Install and Take Off.
- Bottom Shell Case Cover Vented for Maximum Heat Dissipation and Disbursement.
- Very Slim and lightweight.
- Easy and Convenient to Carry Around with your bags.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small compensation at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products or services that I personally use and have been essential for me as a travel blogger.